Franciscan Monastery and Franciscan Church
The impressive monastery complex in the town of Telfs is a plain and functional construction that reflects Franciscan simplicity. The monastery was built between 1703 and 1706 and the Monastery Church of the Immaculate Conception was constructed between 1704 and 1706. The church is attached to the western side of the monastery and faces north. The nave supports a steep gabled roof with a small bell tower.
The gable on the southern façade of the church features a mosaic of the Virgin Mary by Josef Pfefferle (1903/04). Inside the church, one of the most eye-catching features is the side chapel that emerges from the nave. The altarpiece from the year 1710 depicts the patron of the church, Mary Immaculate, surrounded by four Franciscan saints, who symbolise the four continents known at the time. The wall on the right features a fresco of the Three Kings that was removed from the Sparkassenhaus bank building on Untermarketstraße road during recent renovation work and installed in the Monastery Church.
The inside of the monastery complex (which is unfortunately not open to the public) includes a cloister and a large garden that features a summerhouse decorated with a series of frescos about the life of Saint Francis. The monastery, which was originally designed to house a much larger number of residents, is now home to just a few brothers.
A war memorial can be found on the right-hand side of the area in front of the Monastery Church. It features a group of figures by Andreas Einberger and bronze tablets that list the names of the Telfs residents who fell in both World Wars and earlier wars.